It’s been stated that, much like flowers, trees, and plants, hair grows faster in warmer weather. Is this fact or fiction? Does hair grow faster in summer?
Let’s get scientific and see what we find out, shall we?
Let’s dive down this hairy rabbit hole, but first, take a moment to check out our superb brushes! One of the best ways you can create luminous hair and encourage hair growth is with an excellent hairbrush.
Hair Growth Phases
Although different for each individual, the average annual hair growth rate is about 6-inches. This growth rate boils down to about a half-inch per month. For some, it’s more. For others, less.
There are four phases of hair growth:
- Anagen/Growing: This phase lasts about 3-5 years. During this time, your hair follicles create hairs that will continuously grow. Almost 100 percent of the hairs on your head are in the anagen phase.
- Catagen/Transition: Hair follicles shrink, and hair growth slows. Your hair will start separating from the bottom of the hair follicle yet remain in place. This phase lasts about ten days.
- Telogen/Resting: Hairs don’t grow, but they don’t usually fall out either. This phase is also when new hairs form in follicles that have produced hair during the catagen phase. This phase lasts about three months.
- Exogen/Shedding: Your hair sheds from the scalp, often aided by regular washing and brushing. Did you know that you lose 50 to 100 hairs per day during this phase?
Don’t worry. It’s completely normal! Healthy new hairs are on the way. This phase lasts about 2-5 months. Still not answering our question though, does hair grow faster in summer?
How Hair Grows
Your hair begins its growing story from the bottom of the follicle. Nutritious blood from blood vessels in your scalp fuels your follicles, creating more cells that make your hair grow!
Your hair gets pushed up through the skin as it grows, passing a natural conditioning oil gland along the way.
Some might say that’s fascinating; others might say, “Oil glands? Ick!” But it’s how your hair grows, and that’s some fun trivia.
The type, length, and texture of your hair are all unique and beautiful. And knowing how to treat your particular locks is essential.
Someone with more oil in their hair will have a different hair care regimen than someone with hair that’s drier.
To distribute your hair’s natural oils and nourish your strands, reach for a boar bristle brush. If you have fine hair, the Deville 100% Boar Paddle Brush is what you want. If your hair is thicker, try the Classic German Porcupine. The extended nylon bristles will help penetrate your hair, while the boar bristles get to work distributing your hair’s natural oils.
Summer Hair Care Tips
Sun and UV rays can be damaging to your hair and scalp. Does hair grow faster in summer? This definitely doesn’t help!
Try these easy ‘n breezy summer hair care tips to keep your hair healthy and vibrant during our warmer months:
- Trim: If you’ve been growing your hair out over the winter and spring, great! Now is a perfect time to ditch split ends and refresh your style.
- Shield: Apply hair care products that contain UV filters. This will protect your hair from sun damage and help keep color-processed hair from fading.
- Cover: Wear a wide-brimmed hat, bandana, or whatever head covering that suits your style. This easy coverage will keep your hair from getting scorched. A sun hat will also protect other areas, such as your neck or ears.
- Saturate: Drench your hair with clean water and a leave-in conditioner. Then rinse your hair after a swim. No shower? No problem. Fill a spray bottle with fresh water.
- Moisturize: You might find that you wash your hair more frequently in the summer. Use a clarifying or anti-residue shampoo once a week to get rid of product buildup and other chemicals. Then follow with a deep-conditioning treatment.
- Beat the Heat: As much as possible, avoid blow dryers, curling irons, straighteners, and other hot tools.
- Fight Frizz: A drop or two of an anti-frizz product, such as argan oil, can help smooth hair and add shine.
A little goes a long way! Start with a tiny drop of oil, so you don’t weigh down your hair.
Fact or Fiction? Does Hair Grow Faster in Summer?
Human’s focus on their hair over thousands of years has created various rumors, beliefs, and myths. Including the often tossed-around tale that hair grows faster in the summer months.
But alas, it appears as though there’s no solid proof that warmer weather increases your hair growth. Hair naturally lightens in sunlight, which may create the illusion that your hair is growing faster, but it’s just that! An illusion.
What isn’t an illusion is the quality of Spornette styling brushes. Whether you’re looking for a rounder to get a dreamy blowout, or a detangler to prep your hair, Spornette has the right styling brush for you.
If you’re looking for an all-in-one brush, reach for the Ventura Blow-Out Brush to create volume or smooth hair while you blow-dry.
Even though your hair doesn’t grow faster in summer, you want to keep it looking fabulous.
Everyone at Spornette knows that the proper brush for your hair type is essential for glowing and robust hair. Choose a great brush to add to your summer hair care regimen.
Visit us today to take a peek at our wide selection of hairbrushes, rounders, paddles, detanglers, and more! You, and your fabulous hair, will be glad that you did.